I've done a post like the before, inspired by one of my favorite bloggers (and the editor/owner of Food Lush and Style Lush!) Jennie of She Likes Purple. I love the format and I think it's a really nice way to sum up your year. I hope 2011 has been kind, educational and full of love for each of you. Here's to an even better 2012.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
Visited Baltimore (to see Alissa!), went to a parent/teacher conference as a parent.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Well, let's look at last year's list. I'd say I did ok. A few things fell through the cracks, but for the most part, I'm happy with what I got done. (And no, I did not quit Coke Zero.) My resolutions for next year will be up tomorrow.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A few people we know, as well as a dear friend's daughter (who is becoming a dear friend herself!). I go to hold her snuggly baby boy when he was just over 2 weeks old.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Marcus's Uncle Billy passed away this summer. He was one-of-a-kind and I'm very sad he's no longer with us. Fortunately, we got to spend some time with him during our trip to Florida in May, so we were able to say goodbye. I missed getting his Christmas card so much this year and I will dearly miss discussing Dairy Queen desserts with him.
5. What countries did you visit?
None but this one.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you didn't have in 2011?
A cleaner house, a sturdy savings account, an herb garden that doesn't die of heat exhaustion.
7. What dates from 2011 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
Dean's first day of preschool and Christmas. Christmas was really, really good this year.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
I was promoted to Production Stage Manager at work. That means I'm the stage management department head. It's both awesome and sort of terrifying, but is exactly where I should be at this point in my career.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not always speaking my mind. I need to trust myself in my personal life as much as I do at work.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I broke a tooth, which sucked a great deal. I also got an infection in my finger from a stupid hangnail. Other than that, just a couple of colds.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My iPhone. I love it more than I thought I would and it has made life easier and more enjoyable.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Dean's. He has done great in preschool, meeting the challenges, working through them as they come. He's been so patient with us, the parents who still feel like newbies sometimes. He rocked potty training, once he was finally ready to get serious about it, and he's doing such a good job of telling us what he needs. I'm super proud to be his mom.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I plead the fifth.
14. Where did most your money go?
Bills. Food. Gas.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I had the time of my life working on DRACULA back in October. It was so much fun to work on a show where everyone was having a blast producing a great piece of theatre.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
"Someone Like You" by Adele.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Visited with friends.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We hosted my grandma and my parents at our house. It was great!
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Yes. With a kitten. I was determined not to love her as much as my Audrey kitty, who was with us for 11 years, but Chutney has won me over. She is sitting here with her paw on my lap, purring. She has truly made our home a happier place.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
I really, really enjoyed The Sing-Off this season. We've watched it every year, but this was the best group yet.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Truvia. I know that is a product, not a person, but I hate it. I tried it and it's just gross. Sorry.
24. What was the best book you read?
Our family reads at bedtime each night and I have to tell you--Horton Hatches The Egg is a pretty awesome book. I read some adult books, too, my favorite being Harlan Coben's Live Wire.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Not really sure. I didn't branch out much, but rather renewed my love of some songs from my past.
26. What did you want and get?
A KITCHENAID STAND MIXER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
27. What did you want and not get?
My engagement ring fixed. I did try, but it won't happen until the new year.
28. What was your favorite film of 2011?
Was Super 8 this year? Then yes, that. (We don't go to the movies much.)
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 34 in February. I was in tech rehearsals for a new play ALL DAY LONG. However, I received 3 birthday cakes! Dean and Marcus also treated me like a queen on Valentine's Day, which is the day after my birthday (and was my day off).
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A trip to NYC.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2011?
I have discovered scarves, people! I have also fallen completely in love with one-of-a-kind or very unique jewelry. A friend made me a gorgeous pair of earrings that I love more than I can tell you.
32. What kept you sane?
Marcus, Dean, days off, my commute (believe it or not!) , baking, blogging
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
I try never to talk politics on the blog. Think I'll stick to that. Know that I have issues that make me hot, though.
34. Who did you miss?
I really missed going to BlogHer this year and I still miss my NYC friends. I also really REALLY miss my friend Tanya, who used to have my job, but left in search of something better. (Which she found--yay, Tanya!) (But I still miss her.)
35. Who was the best new person you met?
My new buddy Jen B. She was in DRACULA and will be back for another show at our theatre in the spring. She's one of the most down-to-earth, hilarious, talented people I've ever met and I felt an instant connection with her. The more time we spend together, the more I love her. (She made the earrings I mentioned up there.) She's also a puppeteer, which is maybe the coolest thing in the whole world. Jen is an absolute ray of sunshine and I'm so happy she's in my life.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Planning things out is really, really cute. Admirable, even. Then life laughs at you and turns you on your ear and you go "OH" and take it from there. (I've learned this lesson before...)
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"God only knows what I'd be without you."
I don't know what in the world I'd do without my husband. He's my rock and I'm his. How lucky that we have each other.
What's your year been like?